At Covidence.org we want the world to make decisions informed by evidence, not opinion. That’s why we build software that transforms research into knowledge. We are a well funded and world leading not-for-profit tech organization who is embarking on an incredibly exciting new phase of growth which will see our product offering expanding and our engineering team growing.
Launched in 2014 we are a SAAS platform that enables health and science research teams to rapidly synthesize and uncover actionable insights from the mountains of existing research in the world.
We are trusted by 170,000+ researchers and 200+ top institutions including the World Health Organization, Harvard, Yale and Stanford.
- 100% remote
- The Product & Engineering team is located across Australia and New Zealand
- Live and work where you choose whilst ensuring a 6 hour crossover with the AEST 9AM-5PM work day
Covidence is seeking a Head of Engineering to join our Product & Engineering team, reporting to our Chief Product & Technology Officer.
This is a newly created role. In the past 6 months we’ve grown the engineering team from 3 to 8 members and we will continue to scale the team significantly over the coming years.
We’re keen to chat to candidates from all levels of management experience to learn about the talents you can bring to our team.
You’ll get to:
- Manage a team of 8+ mid/senior engineers and drive their career growth paths
- Hire, onboard and structure the engineering team as we grow
- Oversee a codebase that tens of thousands of researchers rely on everyday
- Ensure we make architecturally-sound engineering decisions
- Drive engineering best practices like code review and pair programming
- Refine the team's processes to improve development, quality assurance, and delivery
- Work alongside a product manager and designer to help shape product specifications
- Be part of a small tight-knit, high-achieving team that values trust and respect for one another
What you bring:
- Experience and great passion in leading engineers
- Advocate of DevOps/SRE culture
- Great communication skills, both written and verbal
- Robust experience in architecting scalable Ruby on Rails applications
- A keen interest in modern technologies such as React, GraphQL and PostgreSQL
- A reasoned and pragmatic approach to software development and testing
- A love of problem-solving
- Experience working in an agile development environment
- Interest in data and ML for future growth
We build new features to support our vision and at the same time modernise our technology for scale. Here’s a summary of our tech stack:
- Backend: Ruby on Rails, Ruby, postgreSQL
- DevOps: AWS, Heroku
- Monitoring tools: Sentry, Datadog
- CI/CD experience: Buildkite
- Services Based Architecture
- Great salary: we pay competitively and review salaries regularly
- 5 weeks paid leave: 4 weeks standard plus a bonus week at Christmas, a day off for your birthday and the option to purchase 3 more weeks pro rata
- Flexible start date: want to take a holiday first? Let us know what your preferred start date is
- Knowledge allowance: so you keep learning and developing
- Impact: by working here you will have more impact on humanity than an individual scientist
THE INTERVIEW PROCESS
If you are interested in this opportunity, please hit APPLY and send us through your details. We’ll be back in touch with you promptly.
Should we proceed further you can expect 4 rounds of interviews:
- Round 1: 30 min Zoom interview for us to get to know each other
- Round 2: 60 min Zoom interview diving into your technical and leadership experiences
- Round 3: 90 min Zoom interview where you’ll complete a practical exercise with some of the engineers on the team
- Round 4: 60 min interview with CEO, a board member and the CPTO where you'll present a case study of how you'd go about leading the team at Covidence.
In a hurry? We can speed this process up if needed - just let us know!
When you join Covidence you are joining a team that cares deeply for what we can build and achieve together. If you are ready to be more than just a cog in the machine; if you are smart, curious, want to create change, and are not scared of getting your hands dirty to make it happen – then this is the place for you.